Ready to take your West Coast Swing relationship to another level? With workshops geared toward social dancers and inspired by the “5 Stages of a Relationship”, this weekend intensive with Wren Newman and Scot McKay aims to help move you and your WCS beyond friendship – and into full blown love.
Together, we’ll explore in depth what makes WCS so alluring: the playfulness, styling, musicality, and deep communication with your partner. And what’s more, you’ll learn to integrate with – and flow between – WCS and dances you may already know well (Cha Cha Cha, Night Club 2-step, East Coast Swing, Country Two-step, and Blues), transforming WCS from a dance you use on occasion to one that moves into your everyday repertoire, at the ready whenever the music calls.
Workshops begin with variations to your basic patterns and reinforce what attracted you to WCS in the first place. You’ll learn relationship skills, like good communication and solid technique, and when expectations aren’t met, you’ll see how you can employ improvisation to bring fun and playfulness to the fore. When things get thrilling, we’ll learn to stay balanced and stable while working with whips, whips with turns, tucks with turns, and free spins. Finally, our good times and hard work will pay off with advanced patterns and moving fluidly between dance styles.
- When: Saturday & Sunday, March 30-31, 2019. Sign-in begins 9:00am Saturday and the final workshop ends 1:00pm Sunday.
- Where: Leif Erikson Hall (2245 NW 57th St, Seattle 98107)
- How Much: $140
Registration is full.
- Prerequisite: Versed in West Coast Swing fundamentals, including comfort with the basic 8-count whip.
- Saturday evening dance: March 30, lesson at 7pm, dance 8-11pm, included with your registration, and also open to the public (cost for those not enrolled in the workshop will be listed on our Dances page).
- Cancellation policy: Your registration is refundable through March 22, less a $25 administrative fee.
Weekend Workshop Summary
- 6 Workshops: Wren & Scot have prepared four workshops Saturday, and two Sunday.
- 2 Morning warm-up sessions: Stretch and prepare each morning.
- 1 Lunch & Conversation: Catered lunch for Saturday with a Q&A session.
- And there’s more! Dance Saturday night to the righteous grooves of Brian Lee & the Orbiters. The pre-dance lesson will be integrated into the weekend, and the band breaks will be custom-DJ’d to incorporate music for practicing what you’ve learned in the workshops. Plus, stay after the workshops Sunday afternoon for more practice with a DJ’d dance from 1-3pm.
- 9:00am Sign-in begins
- 9:30am Warm-up
- 10:00-11:15am Workshop #1
Stage 1 of falling in love: Attraction & Romance
An introduction to intermediate WCS, with variations in your basic patterns.
- 11:30am-12:30pm Workshop #2
Stage 2: Reality Sets In
Good relationships take work – and technique. We’ll work on solid techniques for your WCS and all your dances styles.
- 12:30-1:30pm Catered lunch with Q&A
- 1:30-2:30pm Workshop #3
Stage 3: Disappointment
What happens when a pattern doesn’t go as you planned? Don’t be sad – improvise! Work on how to communicate with your partner to bring fun and playfulness to your dance. Plus, styling and musicality for both lead and follow.
- 2:45-4:00pm Workshop #4
Stage 4: Stability
Bring turns into your WCS with balance, stability, and movement, including whips with turns, tucks with turns, and free spins. How to lead them, how to follow them, how to do them!
- 9:30am Sign-in begins
- 10:00am Warm-up
- 10:30-11:45am Workshop #5
Stage 5: Commitment
Advanced patterns to show how much you care, with leveraged moves, sits, leans, and rides.
- 12:00-1:00pm Workshop #6
Putting the Partnership Together
Choreographed patterns to put WCS right in the middle of your dance family. We’ll move in and out of styles – because we can!
- 1:00-3:00pm DJ’d music for practice