The Seattle Dance Weekend, with Richard and Angela.
Richard and Angela are back! Richard has been a favorite of the Seattle dance community since the days of Living Traditions and we are excited to have them return. This year’s weekend will start off Friday night with a workshop at Broadway Waltz and conclude with the Waltz Café dance at the Century Ballroom on Sunday afternoon. In his workshops Richard will teach a hybrid cross-over weekend of waltz and swing, exchanging elements of each!
Richard has been teaching contemporary and historic social dance for 40 years. He leads workshops around the world and is a full-time instructor at Stanford University’s Dance Division. Richard’s emphasis is on flexible attentive partnering, creativity, developing one’s personal style, and the ability to adapt to the dancing styles of various partners. Whether you consider yourself a swing dancer or a waltz dancer your dancing will benefit from this weekend of learning and fun.
- When: Friday through Sunday, April 20-22. A more detailed schedule is attached.
- Locations: Saturday and Sunday workshops at Leif Erikson Hall, 2245 NW 57th Street, Seattle. Friday night dance and workshop at Seattle Central College Activity Center at 1718 Broadway. Sunday Waltz Café at Century Ballroom, 915 East Pine.
|Paid by April 16||Paid after April 16|
|Complete Package Friday through Sunday.||$175||$185|
|Weekend Saturday and Sunday only. No Friday or Sunday Dances.||$155||$165|
- Prerequisite: Participants should be confident with the basics of Swing and Waltz. This is not a workshop for beginners.
- Saturday evening dance: April 21, pre-dance lesson at 7:00 p.m., dance 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. featuring The Valse Cafe Orchestra. The pre-dance lesson and dance are included in the registration fee. The dance, along with the pre-dance lesson, is also open to the public; the cost for anyone not enrolled in the workshop is $15.
- Cancellation Policy: Your registration is refundable through April 16st minus a $25 administrative fee.
Six Dance Workshops:
Richard and Angela have prepared three workshops for Saturday and two workshops for Sunday. For those who can attend Friday, Richard will present a workshop at Broadway Waltz.
Morning Warm-Up Sessions:
Stretch and warm up each morning with Northwest Dance instructor Sean Donovan.
Food and Conversation:
We have a catered lunch planned for Saturday. At lunch, Richard will give a presentation.
And Dances, Too!
On Saturday evening we’ll dance to the music of The Valse Café Orchestra, who will play a variety of Swing and Waltz. Included with your Complete Package registration will also be a Friday evening dance (and pre-dance workshop with Richard) at Broadway Waltz, and Sunday afternoon’s Waltz Café at the Century Ballroom (with the Paris Quartet).
To assure your immediate confirmation, register early and register with a “dance buddy.” A dance buddy is simply someone who is dancing the other role – leading if you’re following or vice versa. This carries no social obligation but helps insure that everyone has a partner during the workshops. Be sure to indicate the name of your dance buddy when you register.
Full payment is required when registering. Your registration is refundable through April 16 minus a $25 administrative fee. There are normally no refunds after April 16th. We will attempt to maintain a reasonable balance between leads and follows. In the event that we have a significant imbalance, we will place you on a wait list.