Richard Powers Weekend
Richard Powers 2017
Join Northwest Dance Network for “Seattle Waltz Weekend.” with Richard Powers and Angela Amarillas.
The Seattle Waltz Weekend:
Richard and Angela are back! Richard has discovered a host of new waltz variations and permutations in the past two years, since he was last here. New cross-step waltz variations from his very creative young Russian dance friends (he recently taught a Cross-Step Waltz Week in St. Petersburg), Fusion Cross-Step, the waltz from La La Land, a new 5-step waltz to dance easily to hyperspeed waltz music, Polka Swing (yes, it’s real), and more!
Richard has been teaching contemporary and historic social dance for 40 years. He leads workshops around the world and is a full-time instructor at Stanford University’s Dance Division. Angela and Richard have taught many workshops in Seattle and we are excited to have them back.
- When: Saturday and Sunday, April 29 and 30, 2017. Sign-in begins at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday and the final event ends at 1 p.m. on Sunday. A more detailed schedule appears below.
- Location: Leif Erikson Hall, 2245 NW 57th Street, Seattle, WA 98107. All events will be at this location.
Registration paid by March 1 $140 per person.
Registration paid by April 1 $150 per person.
Registration in April if space available $160.
- Prerequisite: Participants should be confident with the basics of any type of waltz.
- Saturday evening dance: April 29, pre-dance lesson at 7:30 p.m., dance 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Featuring Valse Café Orchestra. The pre-dance lesson and dance are included in the registration fee. The dance, along with the pre-dance lesson, is also open to the public; the cost for anyone not enrolled in the workshop will be listed on our Dances page.
- Cancellation Policy: Your registration is refundable through April 21, minus a $25 administrative fee.
Five Dance Workshops
Richard and Angela have prepared three workshops for Saturday and two workshops for Sunday.
Morning Warm-Up Sessions
Stretch and warm up each morning with Northwest Dance instructor Sean Donovan.
Food and Conversation
We have a catered lunch planned for Saturday. At lunch, Richard will give a presentation.
A Mix of Mixers
Richard and Angela will teach a pre-dance lesson in a mix of mixers, where you continually change partners. Dream Waltz Mixer, Chaos Mixer, ‘t Smidje and the Sextet Mixer.
And a Dance, Too!
On Saturday evening we will dance to the music of Valse Café Orchestra, who will play waltz, foxtrot, swing, and more!
All activities are at the Leif Erikson Hall, 2245 NW 57th Street, Seattle, WA 98107.
Saturday, April 29
- 9:00 a.m. Sign-in begins
- 9:30 a.m. Warm up with Sean Donovan
- 10:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. First workshop
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Second workshop
- 12:45 p.m.to 2:15 p.m. Lunch catered, with vegetarian and vegan options. Presentation by Richard.
- 2:15 p.m.to 3:45 p.m. Third workshop
- 7:30 p.m. Pre-dance lesson by Richard and Angela: A Mix of Mixers.
- 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Dance to Valse Café Orchestra: waltz, foxtrot, swing, and more!
Sunday, April 30
- 10:00 a.m. Warm up with Sean Donovan
- 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Fourth workshop
- noon. to 1p.m. Fifth workshop
- 1 p.m. Richard Powers Weekend concludes.
To assure your immediate confirmation, register early and register with a “dance buddy.” A dance buddy is simply someone who is dancing the other role—leading if you’re following or vice versa. This carries no social obligation but helps insure that everyone has a partner during the workshops. Be sure to indicate the name of your dance buddy when you register.
Full payment is required when registering. Your registration is refundable through April 15 minus a $25 administrative fee.
We will attempt to maintain a reasonable balance between leads and follows. In the event that we have a significant imbalance, we will place you on a wait list.